Friday, March 16, 2012

From the Canal to the Deep Pit

I thought this blog would make more interesting reading in the future if you knew a bit more about where I've been in the past, so here goes...
You can read a little about me in my profile on the right but here I will tell you more about my fishing history. I'll keep it fairly brief so as not to bore you...

I've lived most of my life in various places in Staffordshire but a few short years were spent in Derbyshire. Fishing seems to have always been a part of my life but in reality I think I was about 10 years old before I picked up my first fishing rod - I'm now 42.

Early Piking
My early fishing trips were spent on the Trent & Mersey canal which ran close to the back of my home. I could while away hours, even full days, catching the gudgeon, small perch and sticklebacks. I even remember surface fishing with old casters for the rudd. I couldn't get enough of it and sometimes in the summer I would get up at dawn and fish a few hours before going to school.

Teenage years
Carp angling became a part of my life when my dad (he wasn't an angler) took me and my friends to Docklow Pools in Herefordshire where I caught my first small carp. After that all I wanted to do was catch carp and the bigger the better. All carp looked huge to me back then. Carp fishing was pretty limited locally and all there was that we knew of was a small farm pond where I would have great times and learn a bit more with my mates. Most of the time was spent catching the tench though and just looking in awe at the carp. Eventually I got some basic tackle together and fished for the carp properly and caught one or two somehow upto low doubles.

First twenty

The passion grew and parents were pestered to take us further afield. Calf Heath Reservoir, Staffordshire - Bache Pool, Shropshire - Willesley Lake, Derbyshire and Sheepy Magna, Warwickshire all became very memorable places for me. Bache Pool in particular has a very special place in my mind because it's where I caught my first 20 pounder back in 1985. It was a common too which made it extra special. 

Once we acquired our own transport there was no holding us back! We travelled all over the place and flitted from one water to another fishing as many waters as we could. Our catches suffered no doubt but it was great fun and I think we learnt a great deal by experiencing so many different waters. We even fished Savay a few times on a day-ticket just 'cause we could and to experience the great Mecca after reading Hutchys book The Carp Strikes Back. We were well out of our depth but boy what an experience. Sleeping in the car after a drink in the infamous Horse & Barge or doing a night at Farlows - all great fun.

Sometimes we found our own pieces of heaven and went after certain carp - namely Penns Hall in Sutton Coldfield, a certain nature reserve and Swarkestone in Derby, Fletchers Pond and Attenborough Gravel Pits in Nottingham and Gibsons and Canal Pool at Kingsbury Water Park.
Gibsons at Kingsbury Water Park
In the mid-nineties I realised a dream by somehow managing to book 5 days on Redmire Pool. That experience was beyond words. I couldn't get enough of the place at one time, so much so, I somehow even got myself on the Redmire Winter syndicate. They were a very special couple of winters. Blanking no end but having the time of my life. I've been very fortunate over the years.
My Redmire Dream
I have dropped lucky many times regarding getting onto waters and other times not so fortunate. For example, I wrote to Tim Paisley a few years ago on the off chance of getting on Birch Grove or Mangrove just as a place had become available! On the other hand I'd always wanted to fish for Heather at Yateley but the year I got my ticket she died on opening day. It was quite probable that I'd never have caught her but it would have been nice trying. The Mangrove was another dream realised. I could not get enough of that place - it really is an atmospheric water.

A Bundy's ticket was offered shortly after getting into the Mangrove. I took it of course but it would have to wait while I fished the Mangrove bug out of my system. I'm now similarly obsessed by Bundy's pit. A water that is totally different to anywhere else I've fished due to the extreme depths and oh what a magnificent stock of fish! It contains some of the best looking commons and mirrors I've ever seen.
The Mother

Somehow I've missed out my time at Elstow. I fished it a good few years ago but I didn't really have the time available back then that such a water requires. Later, I fished it on and off when I could pull myself away from Bundy's and in 2010 I went all out for the the big one, the Mother, and was extremely lucky to see it in the bottom of my net that August. That was another dream fulfilled... I can't believe how lucky I've been to have experienced the waters I have. The old history fish of the Mangrove were very special to me also - Conan and The Linear especially. A few years ago I had the big one from Bundy's - a 44lb common - the times I spent looking at Dick Walkers record in the Redmire Pool book back in the '80's and dreaming of holding a fish like that, I never would have imagined it would become a reality.

Bundy's 44
There's been other waters of course but haven't spent much time at such as Farmwood in Cheshire, Horseshoe in Gloucestershire, the Derby Railway lakes, Branston Water Park and Packington Somers that I can name and one or two others that I can't I'm afraid. Looking back, I can see I have flitted from one water to another and would have had better results had I concentrated on one at a time but what is certain is that there is no way I could have enjoyed myself any more than I have done.
Stowe Pool, Lichfield
Willesley Lake, Ashby
I still love my time spent on the bank. Every sunset and sunrise is still special. Ive realised it's not just the fishing I am obsessed with its being out and about with nature.

It hasn't all been about carp though. As a youngster I dabbled at a bit of pike fishing, mainly at The Pretty Pigs lake in Tamworth. Later years in the winter would occasionally see me at Branston Water Park and Staunton Harold reservoir in Melbourne for the pike they held. I also have memories of stalking chub and small barbel in a clear tributary of the river Severn. If I had more time I could easily fill it by fishing for other species again but at the moment the carping passion burns brightest.
Markeaton Park, Derby
There will be a few trophy shots hereabouts but believe me when I say the most special memories are not necessarily the captures but certain moments in time in between those highs. To use a cliché - it's all about the journey, not the destination.

Branston Water Park
I'm lucky in the fact that I have a very understanding (second!) wife and I can get out on the bank quite regularly. I usually manage something like 3 weekends per month on average. Sometimes it's less than that when I have to catch up with domestic chores and my social life!
This year will see me return to Bundy's when it opens on June 16th then some time at Birch Grove in the winter. Beyond that?... maybe a return to Elstow but on pit 1 this time. Who knows where I will end up...

Be lucky,

Craig Banks.

No comments:

Post a Comment